There will be 10 new members of the Wilson County Commission when they meet next month. Three incumbents retired, and five were unopposed for re-election. Of the 17 contested elections, incumbents won 10 and challengers won 7. That’s a historic number of defeated incumbents. Together with the winners of the 3 open seats, the 7 victorious giant-killers will dramatically change the complexion of the county commission.
Retiring were Chris Sorey, Bob Neal, and Heather Scott. Winners of those open seats were Stephanie McDonald, Jim Bradshaw, and Wendell Marlowe.
The seven defeated incumbents were:
- Larry West – beat 272-193 by Becky Sevier
- Jim Emberton – beat 593-432 by Chad Barnard
- Georgia Franklin – beat 416-346 by Terry Scruggs
- Gary Tarpley – beat 476-472 by Sara Patton
- Billy Patton – beat 382-366 by Nathan Clariday
- Gilbert Graves – beat 856-564 by Jason Brockman
- L.T. Jenkins – beat 478-245 by William Glover
Fred Weston, Jerry McFarland, Kenny Reich, Frank Bush, Clint Thomas, Jeff Joines, Gary Keith, Adam Bannach, Paul Abercrombie, and Randy Hall were all re-elected.
Billy Rowland, Mike Justice, Annette Stafford, Eugene Murray, and Bernie Ash were unopposed and will all continue to serve.